1. WHAT ARE APPRENTICESHIPS?
An apprenticeship is on the job training that leads to a national qualification. There are different levels of apprenticeships, from intermediate and advanced to higher and degree levels. Apprenticeships are used to develop the skills and knowledge of both new and existing employees and typically combine on-the-job training at an employer’s site with off-the-job training provided by a training organisation.
2. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF AN APPRENTICESHIP?
Apprenticeships are a productive and effective way to grow talent and develop a motivated, skilled and qualified workforce. Apprenticeships allow you to diversify your workforce.
3. HOW CAN PRIMARY CARE ACCESS THE APPRENTICESHIP LEVY FUNDING?
The Apprenticeship Levy funding does not cover salary costs (you will have to fund the apprentice’s salary.) Unless you pay the Apprenticeship Levy, primary care can access funding to pay for apprenticeship training, is via, either
Levy Transfer – Levy paying employers can transfer some of their annual levy to other employers – primary care organisation/GP practice. These transfers cover 100% of the training costs of the apprenticeship (you still need to cover salary), Or;
Non-levy employers pay 5% towards the cost of apprenticeship training. The government will pay the rest (95%) up to the funding band maximum. The 95% funding is paid by the Government straight to the provider. The 5% employer contribution is paid to the provider by the employer.
4. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION:
Apprenticeships in Primary and Social Care – Information Pack. Read here.